NEVER, NEVER, NEVER GIVE UP!!!
Today’s Reading: Matthew 3-4
Click scripture link to read online or HERE to listen online (then click the symbol of the audio speaker above the scripture portion).
Key Verses: Matthew 3:14 & 4:19
“I have need to be baptised by You and are You coming to me?”… “Follow Me and I will make you fishers of men.”
Later in Matthew 11:2-15 Jesus says, “There has not been one greater than John the Baptist.” Such a great man needed Jesus!
What was the evidence of John’s greatness?
(1) A great message! “Repent!” Turn from your own way and go God’s way (Matthew 3:2).
(2) Humility! He did not consider himself a great personality, just a “VOICE!” (Matthew 3:3).
(3) John recognized his own need. “I have need to be baptised by You” (Matthew 3:14).
John the Baptist, according to Luke’s Gospel, was named by an angel. His birth was prophesied in advance, and he was eventually beheaded because of his stand for Truth. What a great man! Yet he confessed to Jesus, “I need You.” THIS IS GREATNESS!!!
PRAYER FOR TODAY:
Jesus, John needed You, and I need You desperately! I’m confident that, as the Apostle Paul wrote in Philippians 4:19, “God shall supply all your need, according to His riches in glory by Christ Jesus.” I pray for the grace of Your daily supply! Amen!!!
100 PERSONAL WORDS:
Watching TV or reading newspapers, I have from time to time talked back to the screen toward the person whose troubles have just been exposed, “YOU NEED JESUS!”
His timing may not be to our liking. I remember the singer Jimmy McDonald saying on the 100 Huntley Street TV show, that there are four ways God answers prayer:
- NO (It’s not the best for you, at least at the present time).
- GROW (We must change first in order to handle wisely the answer to our prayers).
- SLOW (Circumstances must change first. God is committed to working within the free will of others).
- GO (This is God’s “YES!” and we can expect results soon).
Listen very carefully and you will hear God’s answer.
Yours with much love,
P.S. Please send me a comment letting me know you’re starting with me for the next 730 days, providing God gives the graces of continuity, consistency, and what I like to call, plain old sanctified stubbornness…the determination to “never, never, never give up!” Those five words made up the entire content of a school graduation speech made by the “Man of the Century” (20th), Winston Churchill!!!