GOD WILLING, today starts a TWO-YEAR DAILY BLOG by me, David Charles Mainse, born August 13th 1936, in Quebec, Canada. If anyone just might possibly be interested, you can check me out at www.crossroads.ca or www.crossroads.ca/about/who-we-are/mainse.
So, I’m 75 years old. This two-year plan shows that I’m an incurable optimist. If you’re having coffee just now, you can tell a lot about the company you’re keeping. One says “Is there any milk in that jug?”. The one who says “pass the cream please”, is me! I’m not a total Pollyanna clone, but I will call it like I see it, honestly and factually. I may be wrong from time to time. Only God is always right, and I am definitely one of His imperfect children by my own choice. It’s not God’s fault that I come short of His high standard. According to surveys, the #2 most recognized song in the world is “Amazing Grace”. #1 is “Happy Birthday”. The composer of “Amazing Grace” used the word “wretched” to describe me. Not too complimentary. But, the song is hopeful. The blind can see and the lost are found.
Yesterday was the 50th birthday of Crossroads. I’m excited to report that it is “HAPPY”. Please join us in the celebration at www.crossroads.ca/50
Now, here’s the plan for this blog:
- Beginning today, God willing, I’ll be making a two-year journey, through the WORLD’S OLDEST BOOK, STILL THE WORLD’S BEST-SELLER – – THE BIBLE. We will start in the New Testament, go to the Old Testament, back to the New and then back again to the Old. To start, I suggest joining me in reading St. Matthews chapters 1 & 2. A good place to start, THE CHRISTMAS STORY. (Years ago in the 1970s, I went through a “The-Bible-in-One-Year”, with thousands of people following along. Unfortunately, when we reached Leviticus, more than half dropped out.)
- I will read the suggested chapters at 4am. At 4:30am, I’ll spend time in prayer. This early start has been a habit of mine, most days, since I turned 40.
- At 5am, at my computer keyboard, I expect to write 100 WORDS. First, 100 words on the theme of the key verse which I’ve chosen from the suggested reading for the day. Second, 100 words from my personal meditation.
- I will add a photo, taken by my son Reynold Mainse, who is a professional photographer. (He just spent the month of March in the Holy Land shooting photos and will be going back again in the Fall for more).
- At 6am, I’ll post the day’s “Fresh Bread” – to be delivered from my place to yours.
- Each day, comments and replies to my post will be encouraged.
Tomorrow’s Suggested Reading: Matthew Chapters 1 & 2
(a good place to start, THE CHRISTMAS STORY)