SUNSET and SUNRISE (two more years, God willing!)
A Message from Ron Mainse:
My Father, David Mainse, went into the presence of his precious Saviour on the morning of September 25th, 2017, surrounded by his family, ending a 5-year battle with MDS leukemia. The Lord graciously extended his life 3 years beyond what the doctors initially predicted, allowing his family and friends to enjoy for a little longer his deep wisdom, caring heart and passionate encouragement. A memorial website has been created for Dad at davidmainse.com, which includes a link to view his “Celebration of Life” service.
We want to continue to keep Dad’s words alive through his daily “100Words.ca” blog, so my wife Ann and I will continue to update and post Dad’s commentary, prayer, and personal words from his previous years’ postings…as an ongoing legacy to our precious Father. We are honoured to be carrying this daily torch for Dad at least for the next two years!
Now, here are Dad’s words from June 3rd, 2016…
For those just joining us, today we start another exciting 730 days in our TWO-YEAR journey throughout the Bible. My name is David Charles Mainse, born August 13th 1936, in Quebec, Canada. If you’re new to this blog and just might possibly be interested in finding out more, you can check me out here. You may also want to view a brief video where I describe what “100words.ca” is all about…click here.
So, I’m now 79 years old. This new two-year plan shows that I’m an incurable optimist (because in 2012, the doctors gave me two years to live). You can tell a lot about the company you’re keeping when you are sharing a coffee. Someone may say, “Is there any milk in that jug?” The one who says “pass the cream please” is me!
Yesterday was the birthday of the TV ministry of Crossroads (started June 2, 1962). I’m excited to report that it is “HAPPY!” I’m honoured, along with my wife, Norma-Jean, to be the Founders. I can report good things about Crossroads. I expect to report in this blog, God willing, from time to time on the vision, the persons God has called to lead, and the results of the Good works of a ministry that is supported by God’s people. “Happy Birthday, God bless you!!!”
Now, here’s the plan for this blog:
- Beginning today, God willing, I’ll present to you fresh bread on this two-year journey through the WORLD’S OLDEST BOOK, STILL THE WORLD’S BEST-SELLER – – THE BIBLE. We will start in the New Testament, go to the Old Testament, back to the New and then back again to the Old. To start, I suggest joining me in reading St. Matthew’s Gospel chapters 1 & 2… a good place to start, THE CHRISTMAS STORY. In the 1970s, I led a “Through-the-Bible-in-One-Year” program. Unfortunately, when we reached Leviticus, Numbers or Deuteronomy, more than half dropped out! After much prayer, I believe I heard from God to extend the reading to two years. This change, along with the New to the Old and back again approach, reversed the drop-out rate. I knew how many were following with me because new materials needed to be ordered in order to continue with the program.
- I read the suggested chapters at 4:00 am. At approximately 4:30 am, I’ll spend time in prayer. This early start has been a habit of mine, most days, since I turned 40.
- Around 5:00 am, I am usually at my computer keyboard where I expect to write my blog (or re-edit my original writing from our first two-year journey). First, I’ll write “100 Words” (forgive me in advance as I usually go over 100 words) on the theme of the key verse which I’ve chosen from the reading for the day. Second, I’ll include a “Prayer for Today” that we can pray together. Then third, I’ll include another section called “100 Personal Words,” which might be a personal meditation or a story from my life.
- My son, Ron, who is an ordained minister, will format the blog in advance, and his wife Ann will proofread the text before the blog is posted. Ron also adds photos taken by my other son, Reynold, who is a missionary as well as a professional photographer and also an ordained minister. He has spent much time in the lands of the Bible shooting photos for the blog. His website is www.reynoldmainse.com.
- At 6:00 am, the day’s “Fresh Bread” comes out of the oven and is delivered from my place to yours.
- Each day, comments and replies to my post are encouraged (I do read all the comments, although I don’t usually get to personally reply…sorry about that!).
- NOTE: You can sign up for the daily email version of my blog by completing the subscription info on the home page at www.100words.ca. If, for any reason, it does not appear in your inbox, sign up again.
TOMORROW’S READING: Matthew Chapters 1 & 2
Yours for thinking God’s thoughts as we read thoroughly His Words,